Mahabalipuram is a ancient sea port 50 KM from the City of Chennai . It is most famous for the old temples made out of granite rock and the most popular one being the Shore Temple . The Monuments of Mahabalipuram are part of the UNESCO World heritage Site .
The Shore temple was also called the “7 pagodas” due to the striking resemblance to the Chinese tower structure called the Pagoda.
My visit to Mahabs as it popularly known was very brief , I reached the shore temple at around 5 pm and all the temple close by 5:30 pm. Unfortunately I did not get to see the rest of the monuments .
Places to see
• Five Rathas
• Arjuna’s Penance
• Shore Temple
• Varaha Cave Temple
Things to do
• Visit the Monuments of Mahabalipuram
• Click away , if you love shooting old buildings temples etc
• Chill at the beach
• Pig out in Moonrakers , they serve good sea food
• Tripods not allowed in the temple complex
• Timings 7am -5:30 pm
• Try not to go on a weekends or on public holidays as it gets really crowed